Memorial Day: Parades, Events, How to Celebrate 2019
Looking for a way to commemorate the upcoming holiday? There are a ton of events going on around the Capital Region so find one near you.
Though most of us get the day off on Monday for Memorial Day, it's incredibly important to not forget why we have the day off to begin with. The weekend is to commemorate and remember those we lost to the ultimate sacrifice, giving their lives supporting and fighting for our freedoms. Sure, enjoy your BBQ and time off from work but take a look at these events and go to one of them.
The full list can be found on the Times Union for the entire weekend, but I'll focus here on Monday specifically.
- ALBANY: Albany's Memorial Day Parade begins on the corner of Central Avenue and Quail Street at 9:30am- there are various parking and road closures.
- BERNE: The Hilltowns Memorial Day Parade "will feature marching bands, floats, horses, classic cars, and military and emergency vehicles" and begin on Route 443 at 10:00am
- SCHODACK: The Schodack Memorial Day Parade starts on the corner or Boltwood and Seaman Avenues at 10:00am
- SAND LAKE: The Sand Lake Memorial Day Parade will start at Averill Avenue at 10:00am and end at Sand Lake Veterans' Memorial Park with a ceremony at 10:30am.
- HALFMOON: The Halfmoon American Legion Post 1450 will host a ceremony at 11:00am
- COLONIE: The West Albany Italian Benevolent Society and Ladies Auxiliary will have a wreath laying at noon in West Albany Memorial Park
- NORTH GREENBUSH: The North Greenbush Memorial Day parade will be outside Town Hall at 1:30pm