West Nile Virus Detected Across The State
We all try and protect ourselves from mosquitoes this time of year. Now, after extensive testing across the state, it was discovered that all regions contain mosquitoes carrying the West Nile virus. Here's how you can protect yourself. According to News 10 ABC, many samples of mosquitoes in various parts of New York have tested positive for West Nile virus. There have been sixty nine cases of the virus detected across the state.
Personal protection is very important like wearing shoes, socks, long pants and long sleeved shirts if you are outside for an extended amount of time. Also using mosquito repellents that contain DEET, Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus or Picaridin will help prevent mosquito bites.
Here are ways you can reduce mosquito breeding grounds around your house:
- Take away containers or planters that hold standing water
- Clean clogged rain gutters and make sure they continue to work properly
- Turn over wheelbarrows and wading pools when not in use
- Change water in bird baths at least every four days
- Clear vegetation and debris from the edges of ponds
- Clean chlorinated swimming pools, outdoor saunas, and hot tubs
- Drain water from pool covers