Why You Should Go To Your Local Drive-In To See A Movie
This weekend I had a great time seeing the new "It Chapter 2" movie at the drive-in. Specifically, the Hollywood Drive -In in Averill Park. What a great time!
When I was a kid we had a drive-in that we could see from our house. That started my love of drive-in movies.
When I lived in Indianapolis and had toddlers my wife and I would go to the drive-in to see movies knowing our kids would fall asleep in the backseat and we saved money on a babysitter. Now my kids are teens and they share the love of drive-in's too.
Here are my top reasons for visiting a drive-in.
- They are a dying breed. According to the drive-in database, there are only 323 operating drive-in movie theaters in the entire country, and most of them are in rural communities. If we don't go to the Drive-In...they will continue to close.
- The nostalgia of the experience. It always reminds me of the movie Grease going to the drive-in. I half expect to see Danny and Sandy in the convertible next to me.
- It's a great value. You usually get to see a double feature for the price of one movie. Like at the Hollywood Drive-In we saw 'It Chapter 2" and "Annabelle" for $10.
- You can watch the movie outside. Of course it's comfortable to sit in your car, or put an air mattress in the back of your pickup (like my wife and daughter did), but I like to sit in a camp chair under the stars to watch Pennywise the clown.
- You can bring your dog. We brought our Newfoundland Gracie. Most drive-in's allow well behaved dogs on a leash.
- You can bring our own food and drinks. Most drive-in's allow you to bring in outside food and drink, but not all of them. So check, before you go.
Finally, here are a few tips to make your drive-in experience awesome.
- Get there early and get a spot near the screen.
- Bring bug spray.
- Bring a portable radio and extra batteries. It makes it easier to hear.
- Bring lawn chairs, blankets, pillows and even sleeping bags for the kids.
Going to the drive-in is so much fun. Give it a try before the season ends!